Friday, July 11, 2014

Flight into Helsinki!

I have arrived in Finland! On Monday we drove to JFK in New York to leave from the airport later that day. There we me the six other Finnish exchange students going home, and the six American students leaving. We flew into Helsinki and then drove about an hour and a half to the town I am staying in, Valkeakoski. The town is so beautiful, with a very distinct and traditional Finnish culture that permeates all aspects of life. The lakes here are bigger and even more beautiful than I imagined. The nature is very different than at home, and there is a lot more forest and green space all around, which is a nice change.
One of Finland's 200,000 beautiful lakes... but this is directly across the street from where I am staying

The sunset here at 11:45 pm. My sleeping schedule is still quite off from the time change so I was also able to catch the 3:00 am sunrise! Because of its northern location and the season, there is hardly any true nighttime darkness here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment